Tuesday, June 7, 2011

End of school...beginning of books and movies!

Well...my first year of MLIS grad school is done.  This year has been an adventure in learning that I missed school more than I thought and how to do group assignments when one of your partners is on another continent.  I've felt like crap when I got my first grade and it wasn't perfect...and than was overjoyed when I got the same grade in another course the next quarter because all I cared about was passing.  There were days when I was like "This is easy!" and days when I went "F*** it, I'm going shopping."  Thanks to these shopping trips I have one hell of an outfit, that took three quarters of mid-quarter breakdowns to put together.  And through all this I've made some really good friends in my program...but I also miss people.  This summer I take a vow to see people when I can and to be "there," if I'm invited to be "there."  I'll even try to invite people on occasion.  But enough reflection, lets share what I've being doing the last 48 hours besides working and sleeping.

My first order of business after turning in my last paper was to read a novel.  This summers first book is "Dead Reckoning" by Charlaine Harris, which is the latest book in the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series.  As always it revolves around Sookie and her crazy life...and though I won't say what happens there is a character with my name in this one!  There aren't a lot of Miriam's in the world, so it's fun to see it in books on occasion.  I finshied the book this afternoon (Yes, I read it in less then 48 hours), and was not disappointed.  As always Charlaine left lots of room open for the next book.

In addition to reading, I saw X-Men: First Class this evening.  I went to Cinebarre, since on Tuesdays all shows are $5.  The movie was pretty good and it went by without me wondering how far in it is.  There were a few laughs through out the movie, and a couple of cameos from actors in previous X-men films.  The only down side was Beast's make-up towards the end.  Overall, good enough for a matinee, but I wouldn't pay full price.

I officially have moved on to my next book of the summer, "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde, but currently am unsure of my next movie.  I'm open to suggestions or being invited along.  There a bunch of good movies out this summer so I'm sure I won't be unsure for long.  I think this may be more of a book/movie blog this summer...since I finally do...well sort of...have enough time in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment